THE SELFISH MODE

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Arrogant Hermit

The hermit was a little man, feeble in composition, muscularity had never known his body, his skeleton was trying to escape and the attempt created a protruding nightmare of flesh. Skin stretched like a tent to the limits, yet incessant wrinkles rippled throughout his body storming the eye of the onlooker with great discomfort. But malnutrition was not his problem, he was deep of mind, the lack of body fat was a precondition to holding the great symmetry of the universe, flesh and bone against the geometry of space without protection, so that in part this feeble creature was one of the metric tensors. The tension translated into pure physical energy, his eyeballs were crystallized fission and when he spoke it was evident that he was eating something that contained more carbohydrates than rice. It was also evident that he did not need to talk to me, and more evident that he did not want to, but he made the effort because I was with Adriana, Adriana the woman that everyone here seemed to know and like. Adriana the antithesis of what I was. The Hermit did not wait for me to ask him anything he just spoke:

He tells me that the rules of the universe are very simple and loudly proclaims them:

The world is subjective there is no objectivity the only apparent objectivity is the collusion of two subjectives.

The center of the universe is every I, and no one can escape from being the center of the universe.

The center of the universe only gives what has to it’s I the lowest possible value.

The center of the universe takes what it perceives as giving it’s I, the greatest gain.

The center of the universe does only, and participates only, in what is in it’s I best interest.

If an individual I, or a social I, ends with less it is never by choice but by luck.

The center of the universe is a black hole.

The “universal,” in any context is a massive attack against individuality by a bunch of individuals that are unaware of their suicidal act.

Then he told me the most startling of things, he said, “I can tell you wonder of the implications of the paradox, if you can not resolve it, if there is no right answer to a paradox, then is there something fundamentally wrong with our thought process? The secret to solving the paradox is to allow for both answers to be right, that is all, just allow both sides to be right.” Trumpets blearing!

I was astounded, how could it all be so simple and define by such basic statements was not all of the configuration of being complex? Was complexity merely a product of the biological and physical world? Was the nature of being really reduce to this? A mere subjective I, concerned only with making mierda out of everything that wasn’t immediately useful to the self? But it was plausible that this hermit was right. He lived in Adriana’s world that was far more advanced than ours. They knew things which we were still light years from comprehending. I also remembered that economist in our planet had the bad habit of explaining complex economic processes with simple statements, that common folk had refuse to make for fear of being thought simplistic and idiotic, and they, the economist won an explosive number of awards for it.

I asked the hermit: “What are you saying that the I is a voracious black hole swallowing anything that comes near? Are you saying that the I becomes more of itself by eliminating entities and incorporating them into itself? Is that what the expanding universe is? And the paradox is what, self contained perfection without my possible like opposites? And because of that we should just let it be!” The hermit looked at me from under his eyes, and waving me aside he simply said: “There is no need to say more.” I used my body to prevent his progression away from me, while saying, “No you indolent you must explain! I have much time, I need to know!” But he, was not molested by my words or needs, his finger pointing the way to infinity, he spoke, “My son go on your way you are bothering me.”

All of the universe bragged about humble hermits and I had the bloody luck to stumble into the most arrogant one. Oh and how I despise it when people say “my son,” that is such a condescending term. I shoved the stupid hermit to the ground and then I proceeded to kick him in the face, and in the stomach, and my kicks multiplied with anger, he, kept on trying to protect himself by putting his hand over his face or stomach, but I just kept on switching places faster than he could. Adriana stood back and did not do a thing to prevent my anger. I yelled at him “You cant just go around telling people that this is how the universal is and expect not to suffer repercussions for it! How many peoples lives have you ruined saying terrible things like that? Answer me! I am the defender of all the innocents that have been your victims! See, you just cant go around electrifying minds, you must be responsible! You must be!” The poor old man finally passed out giving ample evidence to the mortality of black holes.

His arms were mangled over his mangled body. My face red hot and angry looked at Adriana and I said “I suppose I will now have to face your justice as the culprit of at least two murders?” She, much to my surprise, smiled at me in a very playful, happy manner and then she rushed me causing us both to trip and fall over the old hermits mangled body, and she said, “You are so silly, he would have died eventually whether you would have killed him or not.” Then cheerfully, she profusely kissed me with wet tongue, and I echoed her kisses, and we made haste to rip our clothes off and love madly. And I intruded into Adriana with every limb, deep into every black hole of her damp and pulsating I, and it seemed like the old hermit, whom was serving as a bed of sorts, was helping to arc Adriana’s moist body into just such a position that it was possible for her to find greater pleasures, and it was to my joy hearing her orgasmic surrender, feeling her moist palms on my lips, her fingers threatening, her pulsating body making extraordinary and infinite circular motions. I don’t know from where, perhaps from the wisdom frequented by phantoms on our bed, but we possessed boundless worth of intensity, I kept on ramming myself into her, as if to compel her soul from within, to apprehend it and rape it, and Adriana would lure me closer to her, helping me with her hands, as if to prevent me from ever escaping the chase, and her fingernails would let me know if I separated too much, and sweat and sweat. And so it was as if she were gravity and I a stone, a few hundred tones of stone, attempting an escape so as to get more caught, only to end in a pool of heat, sweat and rum.

After the rum filled passions, still laying on the hermits corpse, laughing about dumb things, I was amused at how I had subconsciously predetermined the need to soften the hermit before sex, much as one beats up a pillow to secure its comfort before sleep. We both rested and felt free, we could not be stopped. I asked her what her superiors would do once aware of my actions and she rubbed her hands against my face many times fast and said, “Don’t worry dearest we do not think much of murder in these parts.” I was going to ask her what my reader wants me to ask, but I knew that Adriana was now accepting me as more of an equal an I did not want to diminish that image, so I acted indifferent.

Adriana fell sleep while I laid awake thinking how familiar I felt here with these aliens. I felt closer to Adriana than to the two women from my planet, yes I felt closer to everything in Erehwon, but then on earth I had always been a sort of alien to it all, I was never really a part of that place or of its people. Sure here I was an alien but that is what I had always been, an alien, and now I was among people like me that had nothing in common with me or I with them.