THE SELFISH MODE

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Tatiana

There was nothing but sex everywhere and everyone was against it. She was a whore that could still enjoy her trade and she was also good. She was good in the same sense that saints are good and for the only reason that anyone may be good, that is she did not tell anyone her secrets.

In her heart she was possessed by the Evil force of good, by evil good for good was beyond doubt an evil force. Overcomed perhaps by the arrogant sense that good always triumphs even if it loses Tatiana forced her hands forward, grabbed the engorging snake with both her hands so as to suffocate the snake by constriction, then her mouth wrapped her lips around the head of the snake as if to maliciously bite the Viper, but more it seemed, she wanted the snake to spit the venom into her throat.

It was a mesmerizing dance, the flickering fire the vicious Viper, Tatiana’s silhouette casting shadows that awaken wet dreams, I forgot that Tatiana might die from this madness, I forgot that we were mortals, the gasping sounds of a woman in pain awakened me Tatiana grabbing now grasping at her own throat as earlier she had grasped the Viper, the constriction was happening inside of her, the snake may be a headless wounded wretched creature, but her poison lived to kill Tatiana. I was awake but in a trance, the fire flickering the night kept me hypnotized, Tatiana fell into the ground rolling back and forth, I tried to hold her, to give her comfort, touch must remind the dying of their proximity to life until their death forgets it, I had no antidote to the Venom, it could run freely without fear inside of Tatiana, it had her body I would get it when she was dead.

Dead she lied, the fire was beginnings to smoke itself into exhausted, Tatiana and the snake had kept that alive, I hugged her like I had hugged some many women in my past after a relationship had turned to nastiness and pain. As the fire went away the warmth of her flesh faded, I was left there as always, to think the meanings, to ponder implications, to suffer feeling the moment, my heart had known this brutality before, I was the impotent witness of the moment, I was to translate it all into an acceptable language, Tatiana never expected me to rescue her because she knew I was an observer, she rescued me, she saved me I was not capable of action, I was protected, saved, forbidden experience, Tatiana let herself go, acting as my protector and perhaps feeling contempt for my incapacity.

I had fallen in love with Tatiana because of my love of poetry, she was a walking symphony of poetry, I had fallen in love with her soon after losing an argument with mother. I had always avoided love do to the debilitating emotions it created within me. Mother told me that love had always given her strength, I could not avoid her response, strength, I wanted that I feared love but fell in love with Tatiana knowing perhaps that love never makes me better but worse, knowing that love was the only good force that was evil. I fell in love with her, lost her to the barbarity of endless nights, she slept the rest of her life while I laid awake thinking of moments, dying for ever.

These deaths were what I was running away from, away from my mission, away from the accompanying solitude which never leaves the thinker, I killed Tatiana because I did not want something temporary, I killed her because I was convinced that moments do not make eternity, I killed her. But Tatiana was safe now, safe from my character’s assassin nature, safe from the ravages of life, her heart had stopped beating, mine continued to torment me to deliver me to destiny. I had a few more snake heads to bite off! The night was not for me yet night!

I begun to set my eyes on the remaining denuded arteries and veins cascading torrents of oxygenated and contaminated blood, some would run dry, some would be tied into a Gordian knot, I wept, matching every drop, I want to give you beauty all I can produce is horror!